Re: Althusser vs. Foucault

Daniel,

I think you are insightful in your remark that "the 'false-consciousness =
model which Foucault rightly dismisses is, nonetheless, a straw-man in =
so far as it is made to stand for *all* concepts and methods of =
ideology-critique." One more look at Althusser's definition and =
detailed explanation of "ideology" will refute an apostulate of a =
true/false consciousness binary in Alhtusser's theory of ideology. For =
me, Foucault's "false consciousness" model is a purposeful "misreading" =
of Althusser in so far as he may overcome his intellectual anxiety and =
therefore create a space for his further development of philosophical =
thought, esp. that of his power theory. I do not deny, of course, =
Foucault's achievement in envisioning a capillary power network in/of a =
social body (formation). Nor do I fail to see the constantly dynamic =
and fluid relations of empowerment and resistance between and among =
different conflicting classes and groups. However, I do believe that =
Althusser's notion of RSAs, shift to ISAs, assertion that philosophy as =
a form of knoledge is, in the last instance (yet it never comes), class =
struggle in the field of theory, and conceptualization of a social =
formation as overdetermined expressly anticipate Foucault's development =
of power theory. Based on this ground, I assert an echo between =
Althusser and Foucault.

Best regards,

Flora P. H. Ni
Dep. of English
Providence University
Taiwan

P.S.
What is the web site for the online journal "Theory and Event" that the =
Muse/JHU project of John Hopkins supports? Anybody help me?