Re: disappeared

Ian,

Thanks for the clarification -- I certainly didnt mean to suggest that the
(recent) Pinochet issue isn't worth discussion from a Foucaludian
standpoint. So I'd be happy to hear more, but to me, claims that "justice"
is a suspect concept (and clearly Marx was on to this b/f Fritz), and that
one need not adopt a universalist standpoint to speak in the name of it,
are both spot-on and old news. (And Derrida's essay on "Deconstruction and
Justice" always comes to mind when the status of the concept comes up;
there he claims justice, and our struggles to think and practice it,
amounts to "calculating with the incalculable," always remembering that it
is just that there is law, but law is not justice; of course, this too
comes off as a bit banal.) So I don't yet see what limits to our thinking
are posed by Pinochet's getting off the hook (yet again). Perhaps the
limit lies more in the first event -- his momentary apprehension. That is
indeed interesting, and certainly an event.

Salud,

Dan

Daniel Vukovich
English; The Unit for Criticism