Re: disappeared

I am really not trying to be snippety or persnickety or a smart-ass
here, but I am really curious about a usage in Daniel Vukovich's
post--I cannot figure out what "politically insipid" Americans might
be or, subsequently, the "insipid, in fact pious," Nietzschean purist
stance. I understand "politically" and I think I undertstand
Nietzschean purist, but how does "insipid" fit in here? It's a word
that usually means lacking in character, color, or savor--lacking a
distinctive taste or odor. I am not sure how a very sharp satirical
statement about people who ignore the claims of those who would
bring Pinochet to justice (in some sense) could be said to represent
an "insipid" point of view. Am I missing yet another ironic complex?
Tom Dillingham