R: disappeared

-----Original Message-----
From: noplace@xxxxxxxxxxxxx <noplace@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: foucault@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
<foucault@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Monday, November 30, 1998 3:38 PM
Subject: Re: disappeared

>On the Nietzschean expose of those seeking "justice":
> Q: wouldn't the overman have sought vengeance?
>
>is it vengeance itself that's abhorent, or the fact that those who are
seeking
>trial are wrapping vengeance in the flag of justice, without
acknowledgement?

I don't think that Nietzsche thinks that vengeance is abhorrent. It can be
very healthy, depending on the circumstances. We're all talking, I imagine,
about Nietzsche's *Genealogy of Morals*, right? Though maybe someone has
Zarathustra in mind. Anyway, in the former work, we are not to think that
just because Nietzsche describes the preist as vengeful and the rebellious
Jew as vengeful that he is thereby criticizing vengefulness. Remember he
also says that carnivals of cruelty, before humans had become civilized,
refined, and cultured, were joyful, fun-filled and cleansing. And they were
definitely vengeful.

--John