Re: hello out there

of any links between Foucault and Ivan Illich?

I've had a friend trying to convince me (unsuccessfully) that Foucault must
have read and been influenced by Illich, as their ideas were so similar. I
haven't read much Illich (only his book Deschooling Society, which explains
why Tony's mail triggered this one), but there are similarities there. I
think they are at least partly superficial, and the odd references to Illich
in F's work seem to dismiss him (there are a few references to the book
Medical Nemesis, which Foucault seems to have read in the early-mid 70s).

Anyone know anything in detail about this?

Best wishes

Stuart