Re: ¿Was Adorno a marxist?

Ana:

Right on, but I would add that by Adorno's time being a "Marxist" was
not the same thing as being a Marxist in the 19th century. The
tradition had undergone serious upheavals through the early 20th century
(like a World War and revolutions in Germany and Russia, the first of
which was overturned with the help of the Social Democrats--more on them
in a minute, the second of which was a revolution of the will, not of
inevitability). Read Lenin, or Lukacs after the revolution (not utterly
different, for instance, from the prewar Weberian aesthete Lukacs whose
greatest teacher was an early academic critic of the rigid "class"
concept). Arguably neither man is a Marxist in the strictly
physiocratic sense; more likely they both are; neither is imaginable
without Marx. E. Bernstein, a German Social Democrat, seconded Marx's
concerns but rejected revolution for progressive politics; his party
later rejected retroactively the first German revolution. The Marxist
tradition, subjectively understood as it was, inspired many of the
century's keenest minds to turn against it in one form or another.
Might one suggest that Adorno is Marxism after Heidegger, just as Lukacs
(before AND after WWI, though more so after, disregarding his later
disavowal of all his work while presumably under pressure from the--less
Marxist--Soviet bloc) could be called Marxism after Weber? Your
comments are appreciated.

>From owner-foucault@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Sun Jan 17 22:08:01 1999
>From: "Anaspinoza" <anaspinoza@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>To: <foucault@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>Subject: =?iso-8859-1?Q?=BFWas_Adorno_a_marxist=3F?=
>Date: Mon, 18 Jan 1999 08:15:41 -0300
>Sender: owner-foucault@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
lists.village.virginia.edu id AAA51119

>Vunch:
>
>You wrote:
>
>- In
>>the 60's, the students radicals were astonished and outraged that
Marcus=
>and
>>Adorno did not participate in the planned uprising of '68.
>
>Ana says:
>
>You are wright in what concerns to Adorno. But it is wrong in the case
of
>Marcuse, that participated a lot in the uprising of =B468.
>
>You said:
>>
>>I think you are harboring some misconceptions about the FS works.
Yes,