Re: Dasien, a question

Patrick

>I have recently become interested in the idea of "Dasein" (after
>Heidegger) as a possible method or perspective for inquiry into social
>phenomena.
>
>The introduction by Dreyfus in Foucault's "Mental Illness and Psychology"
>indicated that 1) Foucault used this method as a critique of
>psychoanalysis, and 2) this work was not necessarily typical of Foucalt's
>later works. Not being very familiar with Foucault I'm not sure what to
>make of that disclaimer, but the idea interests me nonetheless,...

It's there in Mental Illness and Personality (the 1954 version, not in
English), and F's intro to Ludwig Binswanger's Dream and Existence, but not
so much in Mental Illness and Psychology (1962 version). Not really there in
other later works of F's - had F read the later Heidegger by this point, and
shifted to historical ontology rather than fundamental ontology? I think so.

>So first of all, does anyone know of a good accessable description of the
>concept of Dasein,

H's Being and Time is the fundamental place, so any commentary on this would
be useful. Cf Stephen Mulhall, H and Being and Time or (approach with
caution) Dreyfus' Being-in-the-World

and second, does anyone know of a few good works by any
>author that demonstrates the use of this Dasein in practice?

See Medard Boss, Psychoanalysis and Daseinanalysis