Re: sexual ethics

------=_NextPart_000_0262_01BE5DB0.47453DE0

I'm afraid my computer rather mangled this message, but I think I =
have the gist of it, although I'm not sure if it's one message or two. =
Anyway, to the first part: Thank you - I had thought of Giddens, but =
not of Gergen. I'll see if I can find it.
The second part, which I think is from Tony, has been mangled too : =
Care of the Self the book is part of the History of Sex trilogy I =
mentioned; I wonder if you were talking about an interview or article I =
might have missed? It certainly is the incarnation of Foucault that I'm =
most interested in for this thesis.=20
I appreciate your help, thanks! (Again.)
Rebecca.
Rebecca,=20
=20
I hope this is relevant. Anthony Giddens has said quite a bit about =
the self- help literature has been a while, he ties the emergence of =
self-help literature to certain changes in late-capitalist society (and =
late-capitalist subjectivity). I can if you like, but won't waste =
everyone's time here. See, 'Modernity and Self-Identity: Self and =
Society in the late modern age"
=20
kenneth J. gergen is also helpful, "the saturated self: dilemmas of =
identity . . ." i cannot find exact title - book is at home (easy read)
Rebecca
sounds like interesting work. how about looking for something useful =
in 'the care of the self'? perhaps this is a *slightly* different =
foucault than you had in mind though. ?
=20
tony lack
=20
=20
=20
=20
=20
=20
---=20

------=_NextPart_000_0262_01BE5DB0.47453DE0

<HTML>
<HEAD>

http-equiv=3DContent-Type><!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD W3 =
HTML//EN">
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<BLOCKQUOTE=20
style=3D"BORDER-LEFT: #000000 solid 2px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; PADDING-LEFT: =
5px">I'm=20
afraid my computer rather mangled this message, but I think I have =
the gist=20
of it, although I'm not sure if it's one message or two.&nbsp; =
Anyway, to=20
the first part: Thank you - I had thought&nbsp; of Giddens, but not =
of=20
Gergen.&nbsp; I'll see if I can find it.</BLOCKQUOTE>
<BLOCKQUOTE=20
style=3D"BORDER-LEFT: #000000 solid 2px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; PADDING-LEFT: =
5px">The=20
second part, which I think is from Tony, has been mangled too : =
<EM>Care of=20
the Self</EM>&nbsp; the book is part of the&nbsp; =
<EM>H</EM><EM>istory</EM>=20
<EM>of Sex </EM>trilogy I mentioned; I wonder if you were talking =
about an=20
interview or article I might have missed? It certainly is the =
incarnation of=20
Foucault that I'm most interested in for this thesis. </BLOCKQUOTE>
<BLOCKQUOTE=20
style=3D"BORDER-LEFT: #000000 solid 2px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; PADDING-LEFT: =
5px">&nbsp;I=20
appreciate your help,&nbsp; thanks! (Again.)</BLOCKQUOTE>
<BLOCKQUOTE=20
style=3D"BORDER-LEFT: #000000 solid 2px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; PADDING-LEFT: =
5px"><FONT=20
color=3D#000000 face=3D"Comic Sans MS"><FONT=20
face=3DArial>Rebecca</FONT>.</FONT></BLOCKQUOTE>
<BLOCKQUOTE=20
style=3D"BORDER-LEFT: #000000 solid 2px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; PADDING-LEFT: =
5px">Rebecca,=20
<BR><BR>I hope this is relevant. Anthony Giddens has said quite a =
bit about=20
the self- help literature has been a while, he ties the emergence of =

self-help literature to certain changes in late-capitalist society =
(and=20
late-capitalist subjectivity). I can if you like, but won't waste =
everyone's=20
time here. See, 'Modernity and Self-Identity: Self and Society in =
the late=20
modern age&quot;<BR><BR>kenneth J. gergen is also helpful, &quot;the =

saturated self: dilemmas of identity . . .&quot; i cannot find exact =
title -=20
book is at home (easy read)<BR>Rebecca<BR>sounds like interesting =
work. how=20
about looking for something useful in 'the care of the self'? =
perhaps this=20
is a *slightly* different foucault than you had in mind though.=20
?<BR><BR>tony lack<BR>
<BLOCKQUOTE><BR><BR><BR><BR></BLOCKQUOTE><?fontfamily><?param =
Arial>---<?/fontfamily>=20
</BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0262_01BE5DB0.47453DE0--