Re: I: what is postmodernism? (fwd)

As a concise survey of the subject, you've done a fine job. My
greatest objection, and you alone are not at fault, is with the
monolithic picture of "modernity" offered by scholars of
"postmodernism." That the originators of the term are conservatives
speaks partially to this, but the fact remains that each of the factors
on which you consider PoMo to differ from Modernism/Modernity can be
shown to have existed in some form or other at the close of the last
century. Liberalism and Marxism in their 19th-century formulations were
all but dead. (The destruction of faith in History led political
thinkers frequently to inject the human will into the process--Lenin,
Mussolini et al, anti-Positivistic but Positive, gleeful only in
visceral contradiction) The skepticism of science was perhaps more
pronounced then than now, and in broader quarters. The ends to which it
might be employed are considered in a variety of Modernist texts (one
that springs to mind instantly is Capek's RUR, wherein lies the first
use of the term 'robot'). Economically, what you have said is probably
true about the Industrialized world but neglects most of the world's
population. But you have, as I said, summarized the flawed case of
others very neatly.

Matt