Re: FOUCAULT'S BALD HEAD

At 03:29 PM 3/22/99 -0600, you wrote:
>just a very random question. Does anyone know if foucault's shaved head
>toward the end of his life was the result of chemotherapy (given that some
>thought AIDS was a cancer) or something he just did? I saw photos from the
>60s in which he had a full set of hair.

Macey, Lives of Michel Foucault, 209, says that Foucault began to shave his
head when he was in Tunisia (66-68) to stop worrying about his losing his
hair or to reveal his true face.

John Knoblock
Professor and Chair, Department of Philosophy
Mail: / University of Miami/ P.O. Box 248054/ Coral Gables, FL 33124
Messages (305) 284-4757
Fax (305) 284-5594