Re: Does paradise exist for protestants?

Luther said that if you held the bible upside down
the book of James would fall out. he was indicating that
talk about "good works" as redeeming was faulty; therefore
James was faulty; therefore James was fallible; therefore scripture
was fallible.

the reason he was so puzzled about James is that he and Calvin and most=20
all of the early reformers held to the logically consistent=20
omnipotent/omniscient poewrs of god so that nothing humans can do=20
matters. it is all shit in the nostrils of a just and holy god.

other reformers (radical) and later reformers (methodism) held=20
doctrines less bound by aristotilian logic. the basic issue is=20
discussed largely in the history of the church as the arminian vs,=20
calvinist views.

there is paradise/heaven for prots. they just take a "rational"=20
discussion to figure out who gits in; whereas the RCs take a=20
ritualistic/sovereignly authoritative (indulgences, briberies, etc.).

On Sun, 28 Mar 1999 23:48:48 -0300 Anaspinoza=20
<anaspinoza@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> It,s clear for me that hell does exist for protestants, but advancing=20
with my modest investigation (that has not directly to do with this=20
subject), I found out that for Luter and for Clavin it=B4s impossible for=
=20
a human action to obtain God=B4s reward (eternal beatitude). For Luter=20
even a good action reflects men corruption (the original guilt)=20
(Denzinger Baunwart, Enchiridion, Symolorum 771-771). When they say=20
that Luter was against merit=B4s doctrine, are they refering to this?=20
This attitude against merit can be read exclusively as a battle against=20
the payment for indulgences, or does it have another meaning?=20
Protestants believe in hell but not in paradise? Can that be possible?=20
Aren=B4t both part of the same figure? >=20
> (Trento=B4s Council supports mertit=B4s doctrine: a good person WINS=20
eternal life) But protestantism rejects the extortion of paradise? As=20
far as I read, protestants aduce that the bible doesn=B4t even have the=20
word merit, but catholics answer that although the word doesn=B4t exist,=20
you can find the same sense in many parts. >=20
> Kant=B4s rejection of merit=B4s doctrine (that is, that for him an action=
=20
has to have a finality in itself, it has to be a consecuence of a law=20
of the reason, and not a way to reach a prize or a punishment) has the=20
same sense of Luter=B4s rejection of merit=B4s doctrine, at least in was=20
has to do with de prize-paradise part? Rejecting merit both reject the=20
way it promotes egoism and reduces virtue to calculus? > =20
> I promisse that my next letter wont=B4t have as a title: Does=20
purgatoire exist for protestants? Actually I think that it doesn=B4t. > =20
> I will be very grateful if somebody can answer my escatological =20
urgence (I promisse it will be the last) > =20

hwsholar@xxxxxxxx