Re: R: Bronte/Said/Foucault???

It seems to me that the NATO action in Kosovo stands to fragment the left in a
profound way. The left, so used to opposing global military theatrics (for
good reasons), is faced with what appears a humanitarian war, supposedly a
contradition in terms. I think the crisis has provided some rather silly
improvisations on the part of leftist analysis in an effort to maintain its
opposition to military operations.

For example, the bombing of a police center and the hunting down of all
policing apparatus is hardly helping with internal policing matters. This
analysis betrays an orthodoxy to leftist skepticism, and a willingness to
search out the concealed agenda, but it is, I think, silly.

Why not just say, as Ian does, that this situation is really not so
complicated, that very occassionally the good guys are really more or less
good (at least as far as immediate decision making goes), and that all of our
penetrating critique is not really very useful, at least not on this issue.
The stubborn reluctance to accept either/or dilemmas, and the insistence that
there are always deeper, more sinister processes at work is an orthodoxy that
sometimes has to be dispensed with. sometimes its important to argue
pragmatism over deconstruction.

sb

--
Sam Binkley

Address: PO Box 20202, New York, NY 10009
phone: (212) 420 9425 web: http://www.erols.com/sbinkley/