Re: R: Bronte/Said/Foucault???

Ian:

sorry for the misquotation, and for using the word "silly".

part of the problem is, I think, a lack of information. If you have access to the
views of people close to the Kosovo scene that are not making it into the western
media, this obviously places you in a different position.

But on the question of dilemmas: I once heard Richard Bernstein tell a story to
Jacques Derrida, after Derrida had presented a portion of his then new book
"spectres of Marx" , something about an old labor activism song which goes "which
side are you on boys, which side are you on". Derrida insisted that he was on
the side of "life" ? well, almost always. A beautiful moment between a
pragmatist and a deconstructionist.

I tend to agree with bernstein. at a certain point, the reality of the situation,
and the immediate dilemmas posed by present
problems require us to say which side we are on, even though we may know that this
reduction (either /or) is, in fact a reduction of more complex relations and
contradictions This is not to suggest that we "shut down", but that we form what
I believe to be sound positions based on what we know?human rights should be an
international concern, and Serb repression should be stopped, with military force,
if need be.

I am completely willing to revise the position based on more information (which I
hope Ian will provide), but I think sometimes circumstances are either/or.

--
Sam Binkley

Address: PO Box 20202, New York, NY 10009
phone: (212) 420 9425 web: http://www.erols.com/sbinkley/