Re: R: Bronte/Said/Foucault???

> .... the bombing of a police center and the hunting down of all
>policing apparatus is hardly helping with internal policing matters. This
>analysis betrays an orthodoxy to leftist skepticism, and a willingness to
>search out the concealed agenda, but it is, I think, silly.

Silly being of course the most violent word you could use: not 'misguided',
'partial', 'worrying', 'challenging'. It has to be "silly"--like being
mad; easily dismissed, without thought.

>Why not just say, as Ian does, that this situation is really not so
>complicated

I didn't say this, Tony did. I'm not just making theoretical leaps, by the
way. I'm receiving information everyday from colleagues in Albania and
Macedonia which actively contradicts what we're hearing about the bombing
of police buildings and the "hunting down of all policing apparatus". I'm
not looking for conspiracies--heaven, I'm looking for things to be more
simple; but events are not turning out that way.

>Why not just say, as Ian does, that this situation is really not so
>complicated that very occassionally the good guys are really more or less
>good (at least as far as immediate decision making goes), and that all of our
>penetrating critique is not really very useful, at least not on this issue.

again, is this ironic? Are you serious? We just switch off I guess?

>The stubborn reluctance to accept either/or dilemmas, and the insistence that
>there are always deeper, more sinister processes at work is an orthodoxy that
>sometimes has to be dispensed with.

I agree. But when events themselves are so insane do we read sanity into them?

>sometimes its important to argue pragmatism over deconstruction.

and sometimes pragmatism is complicit with genocide.
Ian R. Douglas | Watson Institute for International Studies
Brown University, Box 1831, Providence, RI 02912 USA

tel: 401 863-2420 fax: 401 863-2192

"Foucault's death was something terrible, not only
because Foucault died, but because France lost a very
important presence who caused imbeciles to hesitate to
speak out, knowing that Foucault was there to respond."

- Gilles Deleuze, 1985

http://www.powerfoundation.org