Definitions of Genocide

Darren Smith wrote:

> Hey, let's not take up a formal definition of genocide which is extremely
> limiting. We should not simply use the experience of the Holocaust as the
> basis of our definition of genocide or state murder. Isn't that the problem
> with identifying genocide in other places, ie that the way in which we
> define it is quite limiting.

I think Darren has a point here.

By "Holocaust" or Stalinist standards the virtual eradication of American
Indian culture and people is not an instance of genocide...however I have
heard cogent and convincing arguments that under a reasonable definition
of "genocide" the American Indians could be said to have had their own
Holocaust.
It just took longer.

Having said that, I don't think we need to call Milosevic and the Serbian
people's
actions "genocide" to merit intervention by a foreign power.

---
Christopher W. Chase

ECA 377 Department of Religious Studies
Arizona State University Tempe, AZ

(480) 965-7145
christopher.chase@xxxxxxx
http://www.public.asu.edu/~heresy

Niles: Well, as some illustrious person once said,
"Popularity is the hallmark of mediocrity."

Frasier: You just made that up, didn't you?

Niles: Yes, but I stand by it.