Re: not Foucault and kosovo

In a message dated 5/15/99 5:00:24 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
Fmacke4sph@xxxxxxx writes:

> It seems that many western democracies have, alas, become accustomed in the
> last decade of approaching "The Serbian Problem" in much the same manner
> that
> Edward Said described discursive patterns of western "foreign" policy in
> Orientalism. To wit: we have, first, "orientalized" Yugoslavia, and then
> proceeded to debate "our" role in making that part of the globe safe for
> NATO-style western democracy. Not very Foucaultian--and not very
conducive
> to a sustained and worthwhile discussion of how the circumstance that is
now

> holding the globe's attention was given birth.

This is a partial analysis. Why limit the analysis to the past ten years.
We need to understand why the US is involved in the Kosovo region. The US
did not step into
Mexico or Guatemala in the past 40 years of death squads. The US did not
step into any of the many genocidal wars of Africa. The Iritrean and Rwandan
atrocities stand out in my mind just as much as do Idi Amin's. We never
considered for even an instant of stopping the Khmer Rouge. The only reason
is the type of President we have.

Fred Welfare