Re: Foucault, Gender, Organizations

I just joined the list yesterday. One thing I've noticed about Foucault is
that the body (no pun) of his work seems to straddle two "schools" of
Critical Theory. By this, I mean that, in certain ways, we like to "group"
him with the French post-structuralists such as Derrida, Lacan (more of a
structuralist), etc., but in other ways, his perspective seems to fit in
better with the work of Jurgen Habermas and the Frankfurt School. I realize
I may be oversimplifying, but what strikes me is the suprising lack of
compatibility between these two "paradigms" of Foucault, the former being
more literary and (post-)psychoanalytical and the letter being more
empirical-historical and philosophy of science oriented. I think that this
discontinuity in the philosophical discourses surrounding Foucault may lie
central to your own issue, but I do not personally know how to go about
resolving it.

Some works you may fing interesting are Judith Butler's essay on
"Subjection, Resistance, Resignification: Between Freud and Foucault" or
Jana Sawicki's "Foucault and Feminism: A Critical Reappraisal" (Sawicki's
essay is contained in a book entitled "Disciplining Foucault: Feminism,
Power, and the Body," but I read it reproduced somewhere else). Nancy
Fraser's work may, I think, particularly come in useful for your project.