Re: Foucault, Gender, Organizations

vv

While personally I am skeptical of many of some of the more elaborate claims
that are made for the explanatory power of Foucault's work in relationship
to organizationally bounded relations of power/knowledge and their
subjectivizing outcomes, his work has been very influential within UK
organizational analysis and Labour Process Theory.

I hope some of the following references may be of use, although few of them
relate directly to gender:

Burrell, G. (1988) ?Modernism, Postmodernism and Organizational Analysis
2: The Contribution of Michel Foucault¹, Organization Studies 9(2): 221-235.

Clegg, S. (1994) ³Weber and Foucault: Social Theory for the Study of
Organizations¹, Organization 1(1) 179-201.

Donzelot J. (1991) ?Pleasure in Work¹. In Buthcher G. et. al. (Ed) The
Foucault Effect: Studies in Govermentality pp. 251-280. London: Harvester
Wheatsheaf.

Grey, C. (1994) ?Career As A Project Of The Self And Labour Process
Discipline¹, Sociology 28(2): 479-497.

Knights, D. and Vurdubakis, T. (1994) ?Foucault, Power, Resistance and All
That¹, in Jermier, J., Knights, D. and Nord, W. (eds.) Resistance and Power
in Organizations pp. 167-198. London: Routledge.

Knights, D, and Willmott , H. (1989) ?Power and Subjectivity at Work: From
Degradation to Subjugation in Social Relations¹, Sociology 23(4): 535-558.

McKinlay, A. and Starky, K. (eds.) Foucault, Management and Organization
Theory: From Panopticon to Technologies of Self London: Sage.

Rose, N. (1989) Governing the Soul: The Shaping of the Private Self London:
Routledge.

Sewell G. and Wilkinson B. (1992b) ?³Someone to Watch Over Me²:
Surveillance, Discipline and the Just-In Time Labour Process¹, Sociology
26(2) 271-289.

Townley B. (1994) Reframing Human Resource Management London: Sage.

Tretheway, A. (1999) ?Disciplined Bodies: Women¹s Embodied Identities at
Work¹, Organization Studies 20 (3): 423-450.

Willmott, H. (1994) 'Theorizing Agency: Power and Subjectivity in
Organization Studies' in Parker, M and Hassard, J. (eds.) Towards a New
Theory of Organizations London: Routledge.

Best wishes

Philip

Philip Hancock
School of Social Sciences