Re: foucault/derrida

i would like to say, first of all, that this response is purely opinion and
was written impromptu.

it has been a while since i read derrida's lecture or mad/civ, but, as i
remember it, derrida's fault (as i saw it) lied in the way he tried to
"force" an interpretation of foucault's history that portrayed foucault as
pitting madness (unreason) and civilization (reason) in pure opposition to
one another. in other words, derrida is accusing foucault of the "original
sin" of structuralist critique, i.e., of claiming that historical discourses
develop primarily through the (totalizing) dichotomies of mutually defining
opposites. according to derrida, foucault takes the side of "unreason" and,
on that sole basis, rejects the side of "reason" out-of-hand. the
credibility of derrida's interpretation becomes all the more dubious once we
realize that it is based on only three pages out of foucault's 673-page work
(it should be noted in passing that the three pages in question do not
appear in the shortened english translation).

what foucault (i think) is actually talking about is a "silence" is a far
more complex situation in which madness is relegated WITHIN society (not so
much in opposition) such that its significance in the development of
civilization is denied through a discourse of rationality tied to a practice
of confinement. to elaborate more on this would require a closer examination
of the text on my part. but i think his invocation of nietzsche, bataille,
etc. in a small way shows the persistence of that which is nominally
dismissed as "madness."

brian