Re: foucault/derrida

There's more to it than simply taking Foucault to task
for "committing the structuralist error of placing
reason and unreason in opposition to one another".
Far from being a simple matter of opposition, Derrida
is calling Foucault into question for presuming to be
able to speak of an authentic or true experience of
madness. If Foucault is in some sense claiming that
identities such as madness are discursive formations
molded from a field of forces, then the evocation of a
true or authentic madness can only represent one more
rationalization of madness in a series of other
rationalizations. In other words, Foucault, according
to Derrida, falls prey to precisely the same fallacy
that he accuses psychology of... He thinks that he
can speak madness or point to it. Foucault, despite
protestations, seems ultimately to agree with this
critique as can be seen in the huge transformations
his project undergoes in OT, AK, and DP... All of
which can be seen as attempts to escape the need of
referring to some sort of authentic phenomenology in
order to properly critique the human sciences.

Paul Bryant
Department of Philosophy
Loyola University of Chicago

=====