Re: matthew king

well, i think that foucault's point of the 'specific intellectual' is that
philosophers don't really make all that much of a difference in the world.
'philosophers don't have a role in society. their thought cannot be situated
in relation to the current [actual] movement of a group.' beginning with
the clash between the young and the right hegelians, philosophy assumed the
role of a decisive voice in society, politically, that is. certainly,
philosophers have assumed leadership in political and social movements but
their efforts don't amount to much. in this way foucault thought that the
'universal intellectual' did more damage to society than good. would
foucault rather be oppenheimer? that's absurd: he was an intellectual. but
he keenly recognized what limited effects intellectuals had in society. he
sought to curb the authority of philosophy in society and to apply
intellectual activity where it would make some difference, namely, in
discourses circumscribed around institutions and their practices. he sought
enlightenment not in politics but in institutions. real change occurs
slowly through a long and boring (can we say 'uneventful'?) series of
modifications in institutional practices. who has more of a role in
society? greenspan or chomsky? we could include arendt's 'eichmann in
jerusalem,' in exposing the power that a specific functionary like eichmann
has than someone like sartre, as a project that is akin to foucault's. and
arendt herself practicing a specific intellectual activity, namely
journalism, made more of a difference than anyone would have in writing the
next opus on how to subvert global capitalism. the 'little people' in all
walks of life make all the difference in shaping our world. a typed memo
that circulates among the administration in a university carrys more weight
than 500 pages of heidegger. again: philosophers don't have a role in
society. and this coming from a philosophy student sounds hypocritical
(maybe it is); but perhaps, we should practice our craft with more sincerity
and humility.

tom.