Re: geneology and presence

------=_NextPart_000_0082_01BF24AB.6EB00460

Erik's response to this seems to me to be spot on. Foucault is not =
looking for an answer in previous times - see the passage i posted in =
response to another query a couple of weeks back:-

Foucault Reader, p 343 (Interview in English originally):

'I am not looking for an alternative; you can't find the solution of a
problem in the solution of another problem raised at another moment by =
other
people. You see, what i want to do is not the history of solutions, and
that's the reason why i don't accept the word _alternative_. I would =
like to
do the genealogy of problems, of _problematiques_. My point is not that
everything is bad, but that everything is dangerous, which is not =
exactly
the same as bad. If everything is dangerous, then we always have =
something
to do. So my position leads not to apathy but to a hyper- and =
pessimistic
activism'.

To my mind, Foucault's suggestion that genealogy is not about origins is =
at least in part a critique of Heidegger on Nietzsche, and the =
historical implications this has. In other respects, genealogy is very =
close to late Heidegger (I've tried sketching this out before on this =
list). The history of the present idea is explictly Heideggerian - see =
Being & Time division two. Present/ce, as Anwesenheit and Gegenwart in =
Heidegger is both temporal (the present) and spatial (presence, that =
that is present). Of course, this means Derrida's critique of the =
metaphysics of presence applies here, _if_ it applies anywhere...

Best wishes

Stuart

------=_NextPart_000_0082_01BF24AB.6EB00460

<HTML>
<HEAD>

http-equiv=3DContent-Type><!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 =
Transitional//EN">
<STYLE></STYLE>

</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000><FONT size=3D3>Erik's response to this seems =
to me to be=20
spot on. Foucault is not looking for an answer in previous times - see =
the=20
passage i posted in response to another query a couple of weeks=20
back:-</FONT></FONT><FONT size=3D3></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000><FONT size=3D3></FONT></FONT><FONT=20
size=3D3></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D3>Foucault Reader, p 343 (Interview in English=20
originally):<BR><BR>'I am not looking for an alternative; you can't find =
the=20
solution of a<BR>problem in the solution of another problem raised at =
another=20
moment by other<BR>people. You see, what i want to do is not the history =
of=20
solutions, and<BR>that's the reason why i don't accept the word =
_alternative_. I=20
would like to<BR>do the genealogy of problems, of _problematiques_. My =
point is=20
not that<BR>everything is bad, but that everything is dangerous, which =
is not=20
exactly<BR>the same as bad. If everything is dangerous, then we always =
have=20
something<BR>to do. So my position leads not to apathy but to a hyper- =
and=20
pessimistic<BR>activism'.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D3></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D3>To my mind, Foucault's suggestion that genealogy is =
not about=20
origins is at least in part a critique of Heidegger on Nietzsche, and =
the=20
historical implications this has. In other respects, genealogy is very =
close to=20
late Heidegger (I've tried sketching this out before on this list). The =
history=20
of the present idea is explictly Heideggerian - see Being &amp; Time =
division=20
two. Present/ce, as Anwesenheit and Gegenwart in Heidegger is both =
temporal (the=20
present) and spatial (presence, that that is present). Of course, this =
means=20
Derrida's critique of the metaphysics of presence applies here, _if_ it =
applies=20
anywhere...<BR></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D3></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D3>Best wishes</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D3></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D3>Stuart</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0082_01BF24AB.6EB00460--