RE: theory and critique

Ben,

<blushing> Sorry, I suppose I could have put my response somewhat more
delicately.

It was intended as a clarfication of what the lines of that influence were
and how far it extended, according to What is Critique?, which I think is
helpful in this regard. But insofar as we agree on this, what is perhaps
most interesting is the whole discussion of the non-relation between the
german tradition and the french tradition out of which Foucualt obviously
comes (canghuillem, et al.). What happens is more of a convergence than a
direct influence, I suspect--or at least this is how F tells the story here.

But you're right. It seems we really do agree.

Ed

>Ed,
>
>I actually didn't go so far as to say that Foucalt is agreeing with the
>Frankfurt school (I haven't even read the piece in question!).
>I said it seemed that he was _influenced_ by the Frankfurt school,
>in the capacity of John's original question, namely:
>"that critique is itself a virtue that can and should be pursued
>even when one lacks a decent blueprint for a just society."
>
>So, perhaps we are not in disagreement. I think the questions you raise
>are more interesting ones, though--I probably wasn't going out on much
>of a limb by positing an influence by the Frankfurt school--and hopefully
>I can take this up in detail when I'm better informed.
>
>----Ben

ed kazarian
epkaz@xxxxxxxxxxxx
"two things that were left out of the bill of rights: the right to leave
and the right to change one's mind"
-- 'Veronika' from John Eustache's *The Mother and the Whore*