RE: Foucault and Heidegger, again

Matthew

Rather late as a reply, but i've been away from e-mail for the past month.
I'm not at all sure this is old hat. To my mind (and i've said this before)
there is little of note on the Heidegger Foucault relation, but this
particular link has been noticed before, but not really explored. Somewhere
Derrida mentions this as a potential link between F and H ('Etre juste avec
Freud', translation in the Foucault and his Interlocutors book).

Heidegger says (somewhere) that the analysis of death in Being and Time was
written for the medical profession. I'm not sure therefore that Birth of the
Clinic is really a genealogy of Heidegger (that would imply that B&T drew on
medicine for its understanding of death, when i think it very clearly
doesn't). Rather i think that BC is in some ways an attempt to understand
how the modern notion of death and individuality - which i take H to be
challenging - arose. Maybe that's what you meant. In this case F is very
clearly working here - as elsewhere - in the wake of H.

BTW, I thought BC was not at all boring - on the contrary i thought it one
of F's most challenging and interesting books. Much of it is already
included in Histoire de la folie, and to my mind it's incomplete (the Rio
lectures of 1974 fill some key lacunae), but it seems to me much more
successful than Order of Things in terms of what it does. It's a temporally
and geographically bounded study (a good thing), very learned and
challenging. The stuff on the gaze pre-empts much of Discipline and Punish,
there's some good stuff on space, it interestingly parallels the Roussel
book, etc.

Best,

Stuart