Foucault and Heidegger, again

Perhaps this is old hat to many, but anyway: this morning I read
Bernauer's article "Oedipus, Freud, Foucault", wherein he writes: "*The
Birth of the Clinic* argued that clinical medicine was the first sceince
of the individual. Integral to this science was the role of death as
constitutive of one's individuality and unique intelligibility, a status
that was the precondition for the extraordinary importance given by
historians to pathological anatomy in the development of a science of
medicine. Death and disease broke from metaphysical understandings and
became essential elements in the identity of the person." Holy Heidegger!,
I says to myself. I had read *Birth of the Clinic* before I read
Heidegger, and thought it was the most boring book I ever read. If
Bernauer casts it accurately, it's something of a genealogy of Heidegger--
which makes it rather more interesting indeed.

Matthew

---Matthew A. King---Department of Philosophy---York University, Toronto---
"I, too, aspire to see clearly, like a rifleman, with one eye shut;
I, too, aspire to think without assent. This is the ultimate
violence to which the modern intellectual is committed."