Re: government at a distance

I don't know where the phrase "government at a distance" originated. I
believe Nikolas Rose used it in 1996 in his chapter "Governing 'advanced'
liberal democracies" in _Foucault and political reason: liberalism,
neo-liberalism and rtionalities of government_ (Barry, Osborne and Rose
editors). I assume the phrase was picked up from Foucault, but I don't know
where.