Re: F on discourse in institutional contexts

Doug Stokes wrote:
"Have you or anybody on this list ever read any Laclau & Mouffe and / or
Stuart Hall. Whilst working with a lot of Fs ideas they situate
themselves
more firmly in the post-Marxist camp and there work on interpellation
and
articulation provides good tools with which to analyse the operation of
discourse etc. "

My impression is that Laclau and Mouffe are antagonistic to Foucauldian
notions of discourse and power. Their notion of identity politics means
identification with excluded minorities or workingclass groups -- they
have been criticized for allowing small businessmen to claim the status
of an excluded or oppressed group. They fault Foucault's work because
his idea of power as imposing a normal subject amounts to what they
consider a functionalist notion because theory can't free us from
power's operations.

How does that sound?
Philip Goldstein