Foucault and the romantic subject

Is anyone aware of an instance in which Foucault relates his theories of
ethical practice and the self to the Romantic sense of self, as developed in
in the French or German traditions? I know that, when prodded on the
historical relevance of "ethical practice" to modern contexts, he made some
remark about "pockets" of ethical practices, offering the Renaissance concept
of aesthetic self fashioning and Baudellaire's flaneur, but I don't know if
Foucault made an mention of the relevance of an ethic of self fashioning to
the Romantic model of the self elaborated by Geothe, Rousseau, and others.

I can think of a lot of reasons why he would have avoided making this
connection, though there are probably some reasons why this connection is
feasible as well.

any suggestions on this?

sb
--

Sam Binkley
Department of Sociology, New School University
65 Fifth Avenue, New York, NY 10003

Address: PO Box 20202, New York, NY 10009
phone: (212) 420 9425 web: http://www.thing.net/~sbinkley/