Re: Schlag (Was: Can Postmodernism Survive?)

on 5/20/00 5:46 PM, TekUtopia@xxxxxxx at TekUtopia@xxxxxxx wrote:

> When I decide that I shouldn't tell
> the courts or legislatures what to do, I'm not contradicting myself at all.
> I'm simply making a decision in my own life (something that I can really
> affect).

I'm not sure that this is a misreading of Schlag. You are correct that many
individuals (debaters in particular certainly) misread his work, but I think
that his work is not incompatible with certain parts of these views. It
seems that the point can be read in the way that you say you are "simply
makin ga decision ... that [you] can really affect." I think one point that
can be drawn out of Schlag is that you can't actually affect that decision
-- you aren't the court system etc. and when you attempt to make such claims
you are effectively displacing argumentative agency. We can talk forever
about what someone else should do, but it's rather useless in the overall
picture. This seems to be the thought bureaucracy that Schlag refers to.
Particularly in _Normative and Nowhere to Go_.

---

Asher Haig ahaig@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Greenhill Debate Dartmouth 2004