Re: Schlag (Was: Can Postmodernism Survive?)

>on 5/20/00 5:46 PM, TekUtopia@xxxxxxx at TekUtopia@xxxxxxx wrote:
>
>> When I decide that I shouldn't tell
>> the courts or legislatures what to do, I'm not contradicting myself at all.
>> I'm simply making a decision in my own life (something that I can really
>> affect).

Additionally, Schlag is calling into question the existence, coherence, and intelligibility of the "liberal humanist subject," the type of subject that can "decide that i shouldn't tell the courts or legislatures what to do." We, as subjects, are not as much in control as we think we are, according to Schlag. Courts, legislatures, and we ourselves are constructions of texts, discourses, and institutions. Also, it is not an issue of whether or not one can tell courts or legislatures what to do, it is an issue of whether courts and legislatures can make "good decisions" in the first place. Part of Schlag's criticism is that "reason runs out" and leaves legal decisions based on "faith, dogma, prejudice, and company" in its wake.

Stick Figure Death Theatre - http://www.sfdt.com/
Twice the Entertainment, half the talent.