Re: Whats in a Name? (F.K.A. "Can Postmodernism Survive?")

In a message dated 5/22/00 9:56:03 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
ahaig@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

<< Habermas' reading of communicative ideals is more compatible
with Foucault than he thinks. >>

Perhaps, but you understate the connection. There is quite obviously a
strong connection between deconstruction and Habermas, and I do consider
Foucault's
method to be deconstructive sine qua non. I also consider Foucault to be an
unacknowledged critical theorist of the Frankfurt variety. He said at one
time that he would have loved to have just studied the Frankfurt School, but
had to get on with these other matters. In my opinion, if you compare the
two methods of Foucault and Habermas, there is a certain similarity. Where
Foucault reconstructs the empirical practices, Habermas reconstructs the
theoretical practices. But, you can hardly say that Foucault ignores the
theoretcial, nor that Habermas ignores the empirical questions.

Fred W.