Re: Mass media in a Foucauldian perspective?

At 03:54 PM 6/9/00 +0200, you wrote:
>> I haven't read much of Foucault, but it seems to me that the
>> incorporation of the media into his theoretical apparatus, could
>> prove
>> fertile to much mass media theory. Has Foucault ever explicitly dealt
>> with the role of the media in the production of truth? And does
>> anyone
>> have suggestions as to how one could describe the media in a
>> Foucauldian context?
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Nick Farr

Hi Nick,

Have you had a look at www.theory.org.uk - this site expounds some
interesting views on power and the media and the place of Foucauldian
theory in all this. You might also have a look at
http://www.scmp.mq.edu.au/ - MacQuarie University. A Division of Society,
Culture, Media and Philosophy.

"Power is tolerable only on condition that it mask a substantial part of
itself. Its success is proportional to its abiliity to hide its own
machanisms". Michel Foucault

]Cheers
Ross