From: Jeremiah Luna <jeremiah.luna@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Foucault <foucault@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, September 07, 2000 11:35 AM
Subject: Re: Canon

> What is this for a club? I mean where is the geographical location, like
> what state of the united states is it in, or is the club in europe?
>
> jeremiah
>
> On Wed, 6 Sep 2000, Anonymous wrote:
>
> > Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2000 17:28:46 -0700
> > From: Anonymous <rhizome85@xxxxxxxx>
> > To: Foucault <foucault@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> > Subject: Canon
> >
> > Quick thought.
> >
> > We know that Foucault was suspicious of both the idea of a State and of
an Opposition. A few friends of mine and I have applied Foucault's reading
to philosophical thought. We've started an informal philosophy discussion
group that, rather than discussing readings from the canon (or even the
anti-canon, like Foucault, Deleuze, Lyotard, etc.) we're going to be
discussing ideas from outside the system of anti-canon and canon, such as
Tibetan philosophy, etc. We hope it will allow us to develop a more profound
philosophical autonomy from the whole canonical system (as in the
canon-anti-canon binary).

> > On a separate note, the object of the club is for us to all get
postmodern vertigo. The faculty member sponsoring the club once engaged in
nearly a week of discussion of the idea of time with a friend. He was rather
disoriented for two weeks afterward.

> > Sadly, the club is, at this point, entirely composed of men. Can anyone
think of a few (preferably very short) texts or excerpts from texts that
might make for some interesting reading? It doesn't necessarily have to be
non-Western philosophy (or even necessarily non-canon-or-anti-canon)--at
this point we're all brainstorming.