Re: Canon

<P>I have another suggestion for reading alternative canon type books.&nbsp; An Indian writer I have met on the internet, Dipankar Das, has written a book with two other Indian academics called <EM>Margin of Margin</EM>.&nbsp; It's a good book in it's own way although my main criticism is that it still moves within confines of a metaphysical thinking and is at times naively historicist but still the book raises many, many good issues and questions about the relationship between thinkers and cultures and the incipient (perhaps insipid as well) divisions that occur between groups, nations, thinkers and individuals.&nbsp; Mr. Das has kindly sent me a number of copies for distribution in the States so I will in turn&nbsp;give away copies to the first five (5) people who request them on this list if you will cover the postage.&nbsp; Mind you, if you live within the US the postage will be relatively cheap.&nbsp; Outside the US and the cost of postage will go up considerably.&nbsp; Anyway, I suggest that those who might be interested take a look at this link.&nbsp; It is an MSN community dedicated to this book.&nbsp; The community has not yet really taken off but you can find the text of the book there (perhaps making it unnecessary to received an actual bound copy of the text - altho I still like hard copies).&nbsp; Check it out.&nbsp; You will be glad you did as the three authors are quite wry and piquant wits at times and have much to contribute to the gargantuan task of breaking down the ridiculous cultural, political, and economic barriers that separate all intelligent free thinking people from one another.</P>
<P><A href="http://communities.msn.com/marginofmargin";>http://communities.msn.com/marginofmargin</A><BR><BR>p.s. Jeremiah, your link don't work to "throw yourself down"</P>
<P>p.p.s. thanks for the comments on "Elephant"</P>
<P>cheers </P>
<P>cd</P></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;From: Jeremiah Luna <JEREMIAH.LUNA@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Reply-To: foucault@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
<DIV></DIV>&gt;To: foucault@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Subject: Re: Canon
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Date: Fri, 08 Sep 2000 21:14:56 +0000
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt; &gt; Anonymous wrote:
<DIV></DIV>&gt; &gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt; &gt; I have no response to the Elephant poem other than that I intend on
<DIV></DIV>&gt; &gt; reading it thoroughly a few times more so that I can absorb all of
<DIV></DIV>&gt; &gt; it. I personally think it's wonderful--the metaphors seem almost
<DIV></DIV>&gt; &gt; inexhaustible--an excellent topic of discussion indeed. Thanks for the
<DIV></DIV>&gt; &gt; great post :)
<DIV></DIV>&gt; &gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt; &gt; Also--somebody post some cites! See below:
<DIV></DIV>&gt; &gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt; &gt; &gt;i would suggest delving into ethnographic literature. You find the
<DIV></DIV>&gt; &gt; themes
<DIV></DIV>&gt; &gt; &gt;of those such as Foucault, Deleuze, etc but in a very applied method.
<DIV></DIV>&gt; &gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt; &gt; &gt;Also,
<DIV></DIV>&gt; &gt; &gt;why not read things that were not necessary intended to locate
<DIV></DIV>&gt; &gt; themselves
<DIV></DIV>&gt; &gt; &gt;anywhere, such as medical records or police documentation or some
<DIV></DIV>&gt; &gt; more
<DIV></DIV>&gt; &gt; &gt;obscure political philosophy or even student/worker writings from the
<DIV></DIV>&gt; &gt; May
<DIV></DIV>&gt; &gt; &gt;'68 event?
<DIV></DIV>&gt; &gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt; &gt; I especially like the 1968 and ethnography ideas. I think everyone
<DIV></DIV>&gt; &gt; would be really grateful if someone could post some 5/68 cites!
<DIV></DIV>&gt; &gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt; &gt; &gt; Then the discussion group could investigate new ways of reading
<DIV></DIV>&gt; &gt; &gt;those texts.
<DIV></DIV>&gt; &gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt; &gt; An excellent idea as well :) I don't know that the members of the
<DIV></DIV>&gt; &gt; group would be particularly interested, but I know I would.
<DIV></DIV>&gt; &gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt; &gt; &gt; Remember: Foucault never intended on being canonicized (word?)
<DIV></DIV>&gt; &gt; &gt;necessarily. His research was very specific and directed. Leave the
<DIV></DIV>&gt; &gt; &gt;comfort of the canon to Derrida, who finds genealogy not in specific
<DIV></DIV>&gt; &gt; &gt;research like foucault, but in Aristotle, Nietzsche and Plato. :)
<DIV></DIV>&gt; &gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt; &gt; I think Foucault is being canonized. People like Taylor are trying to
<DIV></DIV>&gt; &gt; distill his philosophy down to a set of concepts and sort of inscribe
<DIV></DIV>&gt; &gt; him in the discipline (and also criticize him). I (while I am
<DIV></DIV>&gt; &gt; embarassed to say this) find obscure meditations on consciousness
<DIV></DIV>&gt; &gt; often more interesting than "post-structuralism's seminal work."
<DIV></DIV>&gt; &gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt; &gt; Thanks for a WONDERFUL post!
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Mr. Anonymous I am still trying to figure out if you are talking about a
<DIV></DIV>&gt;real group or a fictional one. And if so where is it located.
<DIV></DIV>&gt;about what happened to the one guy? you mentioned something about this
<DIV></DIV>&gt;one guy who was in the group. .
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;jeremiah