Re: Lynne Cheney's views on Foucault

On Sun, 24 Sep 2000, Todd Comer wrote:

> MF: "I like discussion, and when I am asked questions, I try to answer
> them. It's true that I don't like to get involved in polemics. If I
> open a book and see that the author is accusing an adversary of
> "infantile leftism," I shut it again right away.

I wonder if Walzer had that in mind when he said that Foucault was what
they used to call an infantile leftist. Probably not, but you never know.

> It was wholly in the spirit of the above that my earlier posts have been
> written; if defending the process toward "truth" is a defense of Cheney (of
> whom I know nothing), then perhaps I have been defending her.

But Foucault did not suffer fools--or putatively wise men, like Derrida,
saying foolish things--lightly. Foucault wrote in acid when he discerned
that his interlocutors were motivated by something other than the pursuit
of truth. I doubt he would have had much time for Cheney, but who knows.

Matthew

---Matthew A. King---Department of Philosophy---York University, Toronto---
"It was in the barbarous, gothic times when words had a meaning;
in those days, writers expressed thoughts."