Re: Lynne Cheney's views on Foucault

In a message dated 09/24/2000 11:57:26 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
Solipsist9@xxxxxxx writes:

<<
She may be a twit, but only she knows if her politics is based on hate.

Who decided your anti-list equates with progressive? One might decide that
imperialist, authoritarian racism is progressive. If we buy into relativism,
why not?

John

you're certainly free to appropriate whatever definition to progressive that
you choose. are we to assume that this is your definition of progressive? I
mean, it's possible for someone to think of goodness as that which
encompasses evil.

as for being only evil when one knows one is being evil, you'll excuse me if
I think that this is as silly as the rest of your argument -- people are
frequently evil without thinking about it. the whole point of rehabilitation
is to show someone why and how his or her actions were evil, to force them to
think about what they did, and the consequences of that act. we're not
addressing mental illness in this comparison of the relative values of
Foucault & Cheney, each of whom is responsible for how they behave/d.

jb...