charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED =
MESSAGE-----<BR>Hash:=20
SHA1</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Cheney's views on Foucault, as related=20
by...</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Jon Wiener, &#8220;Hard To Muzzle: The =
Return of Lynne=20
Cheney,&#8221; The Nation,<BR>10/2/00&nbsp; </FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>In 1995 Cheney pulled her complaints =
together into=20
a book with the<BR>modest title Telling the Truth. Tipper Gore had made =
her name=20
in<BR>public policy by targeting dirty rock lyrics; the woman who=20
would<BR>succeed her as vice-presidential wife has a loftier target:=20
French<BR>philosopher Michel Foucault, who argued that what we call =
truth=20
is<BR>constructed by those who hold power. Telling the Truth declares=20
that<BR>Foucault's ideas threaten nothing less than the survival of=20
Western<BR>civilization. "If we are to be successful as a culture,"=20
Cheney<BR>writes, we cannot follow Foucault and "turn away from reason=20
and<BR>reality." We must follow the great thinkers of the Enlightenment=20
and<BR>"find the will to live in truth.... The answer may very =
well<BR>determine=20
whether we survive." Any grad student in cultural studies<BR>would be =
more than=20
happy to show how her conception of "reason and<BR>reality" is not =
timeless and=20
universal but rather is shaped by<BR>culture and experience. For Cheney, =

Foucault's sinister influence is<BR>everywhere. Even Al Gore is a =
disciple: His=20
book Earth in the<BR>Balance, she writes, "is about how the great =
thinkers of=20
the<BR>Enlightenment have led us astray." If Foucault is one of the=20
big<BR>targets of her book, feminism is the other. Attacking "the=20
radical<BR>egalitarianism espoused by many feminists," she criticizes=20
"the<BR>movement to do away with...competition in the schools"--for=20
example,<BR>"in every part of the country, school children are dancing=20
and<BR>jumping rope, activities that do not involve competition, instead =

of<BR>playing games like dodgeball, from which a winner emerges."=20
Obviously<BR>Lynne Cheney was a girl who liked winning at =
dodgeball.&nbsp;=20
</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Telling the Truth =
concludes with=20
what Nick Gillespie of the<BR>libertarian magazine Reason called "a =
dizzying=20
whirlwind of innuendo<BR>and invective." She argues that the brutal 1994 =
murder=20
of an<BR>ice-cream vendor in Philadelphia exposes the consequences of=20
leftist<BR>postmodern theory. As the vendor lay dying in the street, a =
group=20
of<BR>teenage onlookers laughed and danced. Cheney concludes that =
"people<BR>who=20
laugh at a dying man have no sense that a stranger can suffer<BR>just as =
they=20
do." And whose fault is this? "Intellectual elites do no<BR>one a favor =
by=20
sending through society messages that there is no<BR>external reality in =
which=20
we all participate, that there is only the<BR>game of the moment, the=20
entertainment of the day." Thus postmodernism<BR>may not have killed the =

ice-cream vendor, but it encouraged the<BR>onlookers to laugh at his =
suffering.=20
Of course, Lynne Cheney doesn't<BR>know whether the laughing onlookers =
had read=20
Foucault; in fact, she<BR>knows nothing about them.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Nate</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>-----BEGIN PGP =
SIGNATURE-----<BR>Version:=20
PGPfreeware 6.5.8 for non-commercial use &lt;<A=20
href=3D"http://www.pgp.com";>http://www.pgp.com</A>&gt;</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial=20
size=3D2>iQA/AwUBOc/8/WPiNpsHufNqEQK2YQCgxFmrnvrCb+WBcxvGLljB6iKRcQEAoOaa=
<BR>eviF/A5cgOoLxERZr6vxsoQz<BR>=3DzyQB<BR>-----END=20
PGP SIGNATURE-----<BR></FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_000D_01C0271F.26ECDAA0--