Re: what about us

Touche. I didn't think I WAS advocating a pomo manifesto, though. I was
saying that such would miss the point. I was trying to emphasize the
continuity of the values of pomos with the western tradition because it is
not some metaphysical "gnosis" which has descended upon us from above saving
us from western modernism, but rather the placing the self critical/open to
difference ethic of intellectual and social engagement as the one of central
value to us (and I mean, simply "us.") I think that the examples you gave
of affirmative action and anti-racism in western industrialized economies
are the real life approaches to things from which the principle of
"postmodernism" is drawn a posteriori and now being codified into theories
and contemplating manifestos. All I'm saying is that rather than coming up
with a specific manifesto for all of postmodernism, approach the kinds of
problems you mentioned earlier with thtsat "postmodern" ethic we saw
concretely emerge in American culture in the 60s (for example) to new
circumstances.

When I refer to people's hearts I am referring not to something metaphysical
and fixed but to whatever it is about people that responds to a proposed
ethos, emotionally, aesthetically, cognitively, circumstantially, or
however. Yes it is not a fixed thing, that is part of why postmodernists
can appeal to people, not to human natures but real people, in ways that
have a hope of affecting revaluations within them. There may not be
determinate human nature, and talk of such may be very dangerous and bias,
BUT Foucault or any one else would not be able to make inferences about
power relations in the 18th Century (or any century for that matter) without
assuming Something relatively constant about the natures of "humans" or
their "hearts." We may never speak definitively, but we must speak. If for
our values if not for hope of certainty. Unless you want to reject your
values for the sake of consistency with your relativism, but then you still
must realize you don't have a basis to do that more than empty intellectual
consistency which refuses to be anti-volitional in a, dare I say it,
"unnatural" way.

So, to answer your (most of your questions): No, not a humanist self. Yes
some kind of instinct or discernable tendencies of human behavior or
whatever it is that postmodernists are assuming are functioning when they
read in things like motivations or power-dynamics of people in the past...
however malleable it may be in concrete circumstances.

I do think this is of more immediate priority as opposed to a return to an
Enlightenment utopianism or revolutionary ideology which crushes its
idealism in pursuit of its pragmatics and becomes another Vietnam or
Bolshevik Revolution.

Finally, if the change does not become effective through people's "hearts"
where can it? New laws, new definitions of what it must mean to be human?
It is an attitude that is our only hope for a better political attitude.
Not a new political formation which says you must think with this attitude
or go to jail.

Is that better?

Dan