Re: Intellectual Specificity and Inner Fascism

on 12/18/00 8:59 PM, Chris Jones at ccjones@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> I am not interested in what Butler's text may say as reading is open
> to affects of power. I am interested in the affects of power of her
> text. Gender Trouble, with or against Butler's wishes, has become a
> founding text in a discourse.
>
> Best wishes
>
> Chris Jones.

Yes, and perhaps every reading is a misreading, but that ignores the
question - you blame Butler when it is your reading that has discovered such
a meaning - in your interpretation of the text. Perhaps the text is no
longer Butler's at all, but yours instead.

If texts are open to affects of power (which they certainly are) and you are
not interested in her text, only the "founding discourse" then why isn't it
your discourse which engages in that restricting interpretation of
performance and homophobia?

---

Asher Haig ahaig@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Dartmouth 2004