Re: Turkish prisons and Performance (Was: NYT)

Asher Haig wrote:

> on 1/10/01 4:08 AM, Erik Hoogcarspel at jehms@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>
>> I wonder if Foucault can help us understand what's going on. Are these
>> tortures instruments of discipline or is this maybe a kind of class
>> struggle, or do the gards think it's their duty to make life hell for
>> the prisoners?
>

> Why not all of them? To me the question seems to be more a matter of how
> these things fit together to create a structure that not only results in
> violence but is itself violent. Is not the very act of imprisonment a type
> of violence?

Yeah, but calling it violence doesn't help us to understand how it works
and if we don't understand this, how could we ever hope to improve it?
Maybe we should focus on censorship, inclusion and exclusion. Are
Turkish prisoners going from a situation of exclusion (as a cursed group
living in a place outside society) into a situation of inclusion?

regards

erik