RE: Situtaion in Turkish Prisons and Turkish people in the eyes of 1st and 2nd world

Of course this is right, and Sheridan notes in his 'Translator's Note' that
there is a difficulty in translating thwe word 'supplice'. He often
translates is as 'public execution'. But he is not entirely consistent. The
only way round this is to read the French in parallel.

And of course, even modern forms of punishment retain "a 'torturous'
sediment [_un fond <<suppliciant>>_]" (Surveiller et Punir 23; cf Discipline
and Punish 16)

Stuart