Re: Foucault and Kant

I was not reading most of the posts before today, so I don't know the
initial context in which Kant was raised. The importance of Kant that I
understand to be considerable in dealing with Foucault is the sense in which
Foucault still is into treating things in terms of their transcendental
conditions. Particularly the formal usefulness of seeing power/knowledge as
the transcendental conditions, the sine qua non, of morality systems. If
these are not inextricable factors in such systems, then Foucault has not
really exposed anything. We all knew that power systems and knowledge
systems affected people's morality. Foucault's radicality is in locating
ALL morality within power/knowledge. In ways like this, he is significantly
transcendental, and therefore, in a broad and not negligible sense, a
Kantian after all.

It is important to locate him in the tradition in order to relate his ideas
to that tradition fairly and meaningfully. Obviously where there is blatant
disagreement that can be said. But such an unbreachable split need not be
the default assumption.

I appreciate the particularities of your assessments, simone j. What in
particular do you see as the interesting connection between Husserl and
Foucault; might I ask?

all the best,
Dan