Re: Foucault and Kant

--------------E4DF41FE33022DDA4A428A61

Yves:
I agree that the "Critique of Judgment" provides a more promising route
for bridging the distance between Kant and Foucault (especially
Foucault's aestheticizing, Nietzschean ethics) than Kant's more overtly
ethical and political writings. This work would certainly have more
interesting applications to questions of sexual ethics that have been
central to the thread.

Two books (other than the one's you mention) are worth attention: Hannah
Arendt, "Lectures on Kant's Political Philosophy" and Ronald Beiner,
"Political Judgment." Arendt argues that Kant's notion of "validity" can
be transferred to moral and political questions, especially when we are
judging new events or things that do not fit our ordinary categories.
This approach promises to address the questions Bryan raises, but
WITHOUT indulging a transcendental appeal. "Validity" is internal to the
process of judging (using "representational thinking") and makes no
appeal beyond "common sense." The absence of a transcendental appeal is
precisely what drew Arendt's interest.

In her search for an immanent source of valid judgement, I think Arendt
arrives closer to Habermas than Foucault (or Lyotard). The problem is
this: If valid judgments are the product of representational thinking
based on common sense, how are we to adjust for those "others" who do
not fit our representations? That problem puts us in close proximity to
Foucault and Lyotard. To find ourselves alert to a thinker's concerns is
indeed to find a bridge.

Cheers

Larry

PS: I am about to lose my ISP. Anyone know how I can change email
addresses on the list?.

Yves Winter wrote:

> There seems to be quite a bit of Kant-bashing going on here, most of
> it based on a misrepresentation of Kant reduced to the categorical
> imperative. For anybody seriously interested in the key problem of
> passages between incomparable discourse systems I could recommend a
> reading of Kant's _Critique of Judgement_. Here Kant deals exactly
> with the issues we've been discussing, namely how to operate a passage
> between the different faculties and thus how to legitimate a moral
> code. He ends up recognising that there can be no absolute basis for a
> moral code and the best he can do is to provide analogies. For those
> interested, you might also want to have a look at Lyotard's reading of
> the Third Critique (in the Kant notes of _Le Differend_ and in more
> detail in _L'enthousiasme_) which I believe is very much compatible
> with a Foucauldian stance. Yves

to moral and political&nbsp; questions, especially when we are judging
new events or things that do not fit our ordinary categories. This approach
promises to address the questions Bryan raises, but WITHOUT indulging a
transcendental appeal. "Validity" is internal to the process of judging
(using "representational thinking") and makes no appeal beyond "common
sense." The absence of a transcendental appeal is precisely what drew Arendt's
interest.
arrives closer to Habermas than Foucault (or Lyotard). The problem is this:
If valid judgments are the product of representational thinking based on
common sense, how are we to adjust for those "others" who do not fit our
representations? That problem puts us in close proximity to Foucault and
Lyotard. To find ourselves alert to a thinker's concerns is indeed to find
a bridge.
on the list?.
seems to be quite a bit of Kant-bashing going on here, most of it based
anybody seriously interested in the key problem of passages between incomparable
discourse systems I could recommend a reading of Kant's _Critique of Judgement_.
Here Kant deals exactly with the issues we've been discussing, namely how
to operate a passage between the different faculties and thus how to legitimate
a moral code. He ends up recognising that there can be no absolute basis
for a moral code and the best he can do is to provide analogies. For those
interested, you might also want to have a look at Lyotard's reading of
the Third Critique (in the Kant notes of _Le Differend_&nbsp; and in more
detail in _L'enthousiasme_) which I believe is very much compatible with

style="BACKGROUND: #e4e4e4; FONT: 10pt arial; font-color: black"><b>From:</b>

AM</div>

&nbsp;<font face="arial,helvetica"><font size=-1>In a message dated 2/1/01
8:15:46 PM Eastern Standard Time,</font></font>
writes:</font></font>
style="PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px"
TYPE="CITE"><font face="arial,helvetica"><font size=-1>We
all knew that power systems and knowledge</font></font>
morality.&nbsp; Foucault's radicality is in locating</font></font>
In ways like this, he is</font></font>
in a broad and not negligible sense, a</font></font>

Kant reconstructed how the transcentental</font></font>
you will, reconstructed their knowledge of nature.</font></font>
form social groups and societies.&nbsp; The object</font></font>
nature, that is, things which are primarily</font></font>
knowledge of which is constructed during the</font></font>
each individual.&nbsp; Knowledge of society, which</font></font>
already existing before the individual is born and</font></font>
as he/she grows, something that nature does not</font></font>
force construing what each individual is through</font></font>
of beliefs and through the current network of</font></font>
Society is not nature.&nbsp; To the extent that</font></font>
to harbor the difference between natural and</font></font>
constitutes valid knowledge) is the extent to which</font></font>
aground, as in his notion of the universality of</font></font>
But, for Kant, we should understand that he was</font></font>
from the binding limits of religion and so dealt</font></font>
an object, not as an objectivating force.</font></font>
we can easily recognize Juan as a character who has</font></font>
prevailing societal ethos of his location and</font></font>
Juan is unable to be reflexive about his being</font></font>
that he has it figured out.&nbsp; When he realizes</font></font>
out, he may be able to understand Foucault's</font></font>
terms of morality, but in terms of local practices.</font></font>
represented the same thing. Today we</font></font>
morality as that which pertains to personal private</font></font>
embroiled in disputes over right and wrong in which</font></font>
limiting factor between two or more disparate</font></font>
In those cases where the law is determing individuals'</font></font>
is surely bred, one such form being</font></font>
variations.&nbsp; But, the homosexuality does not</font></font>
ethical position, but instead as a way of exerting or</font></font>
I tend to think of power/resistance as a</font></font>
or enzyme-substrate complex.</font></font>

--------------E4DF41FE33022DDA4A428A61--