Dear Vunch,

You seem to misunderstand my point. I was not arguing that Kant had
Foucault's ethical perspective, simply that Foucault took things like
considerations of power and knowledge and made these the ever present
transcendental conditions for moralities and all kinds of practices in
society. My point is that in this transcendental move he is following in a
distinctively Kantian pattern, despite widely diverging in his applications
of transcendental thinking. My point about our always knowing that morals
were sometimes influenced by power/knowledge structures was simply an
allusion to the age old threat of the corrupt manipulating morals through
power or knowledge systems, this threat is at least as old as the New
Testament critique of Phariseism. My point was that if Foucault was simply
saying that sometimes corrupt uses of power/knowledge corrupt morality, he
would be saying nothing new. In contrast to traditional thought, though,
Foucault treats power/knowledge not as external factors sometimes impinging
upon an otherwise pristine morality but rather as everpresent, necessarily
present, transcendental conditions for any morality, or any practice at all
for that matter. In this way he is transcendental, like a Kantian of sorts,
while obviously distinct from Kant in the types of particulars which you
listed. In short, what the transcendental conditions are is a matter of
disagreement between Kant and Foucault but that there are transcendental
conditions is a key agreement that I was trying to call attention to.

Hope this has been more clarifying than muddling!

All the best,
Dan