Re: escaping the private...

Asher says:

> Framing the question as this search for coherence is exactly what enables
> Rorty to co-opt the entirety (whatever that means) of critical theory in
the
> name of liberalism.

Huh?! <see below>

> Sometimes I think it might be better that way. Rorty is like Habermas.
> T(he)y are(is) the Borg. Coherence is a way of making so many distinctions
> that a system can be established to do away with things you don't like.
> Saying that it is ridiculous, sometimes, is a way of refusing to engage
such
> absurdity. After all, who has been able to attack all of the errors in
> either Rorty or Habermas without getting lost in their own moral (liberal
> for Rorty) ooze?

You sound like Rorty here. In the autobiographical section of "Philosophy
and Social Hope," he criticizes the idea "that the test of philosophical
truth [is] overall coherence, rather than deducibility from unquestioned
first principles" (10). Rorty also says on many occasions that theory is a
toolbox. What's your problem with him?

~Nate