Re: use or abuse of listservs

I agree. I have been working on an essay for "Western" ethical theory now ever
since I have written for a course at college, and it just make me crave other's
ideas for or against others ideas, and that can be kind of banter-like. But, of
course, I have already submitted the essay and life goes on. My Professor,
however, will never know the end of my appreciation, even when we say little
logic statements with words that cover whole territories of meaning and try to
match each other's wits, somehow. That's what I really enjoy about philosophy. I
can hardly have such conversations with my parents, for I may get in trouble
about something I did years ago, and that's ultimately why I/we move on and move
out (and, enter listservs for intellectual stimulation for that is what really
interests us). As far as writing is concerned, we receive such skills from those
who profess in language, and often under a pressure of too large a class to
control, the teacher pulling her hair out because a student doesn't understand
plagiarism. My sympathies go to English teachers, however, and not always to
philosophers on this matter. Could we bicker with a foreign language on this
post, i.e., is that out of our intellectual range of meaning? If anything
Americans may have trouble with, it is a foreign language other than English
(and "we" won't deny that). I think what Mr. King is eluding to is the fact that
we can't have real conversations, here, and so it is pointless to attempt. Most
of us are intellectual, which can be surmised from the maturity to understand
language. So, we have an unknown audience to this and we can really be rational
and use language to the full of our competence to do so.