Re: if -- And

--part1_15.16929744.2872caf8_boundary

I'm not referring so much to Arendt as the notion that there there are
mutually exclusive spaces in one's life (i.e. the pragmatic idea of living
one way in your private life and differently in the public sphere). Can we
separate Foucault's private sexual values from the values that he writes
about. It seems naive to say that Foucault's sexuality is automatically
separated from his public discourse. I'm certainly not sure what connection
there is, but I can't automatically rule it out. F's experience with
psychiatry helped to shape his attitude towards "madness" and their
"treatment."

In a message dated 7/2/2001 7:55:47 PM Mountain Daylight Time,
rhizome85@xxxxxxxx writes:

> Rorty's public/private dichotomy is little more than the public/private
> dichotomy established by the First Amendment. Rorty's just talking about
> setting up a distinction between public *values* and private *values.*
>
> I think the public/private distinction you're thinking of is the one Arendt
> gives us.

One Love,

Aaron J. Lyttle

--------
"The voice told her when and where and why,
She said, 'I've lost control.'"

-Joy Division

--part1_15.16929744.2872caf8_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT SIZE=2>I'm not referring so much to Arendt as the notion that there there are
<BR>mutually exclusive spaces in one's life (i.e. the pragmatic idea of living
<BR>one way in your private life and differently in the public sphere). Can we
<BR>separate Foucault's private sexual values from the values that he writes
<BR>about. It seems naive to say that Foucault's sexuality is automatically
<BR>separated from his public discourse. I'm certainly not sure what connection
<BR>there is, but I can't automatically rule it out. F's experience with
<BR>psychiatry helped to shape his attitude towards "madness" and their
<BR>"treatment."
<BR>
<BR>In a message dated 7/2/2001 7:55:47 PM Mountain Daylight Time,