From: "Jill Molan" <Jill.Molan@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: "foucault list" <foucault@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, July 05, 2001 2:54 PM
Subject: RE: if -- And and and and

> Glen - do i read you right in taking this to be a challenge to Arianna
about the position she has taken up in regard to 'the author'?
> If yes, then perhaps it would be productive interrogate what Foucault had
to say on it - because it's his words (in translation) she's using when she
> says 'What difference does it make who is speaking?' (Does this make a
difference, by the way?)
> In any case, it might be instructive to have a look at what Foucault has
said about it - it's in Rabinow (1984) 'The Foucault Reader' pp. 101-120,
but
> also, in a different translation, in Bouchard (1977) 'Michel Foucault:
Language, counter-memory and practice' pp. 113-138.

> I'm sure that Arianna is more than capable of answering for herself, I'm
responding because i'd like to see a discussion about this on the listwho's
> for it?
> cheers
> Jill
>
> Arianna,
>
> Why bother putting your name to this email? (Or was that an accident, if
it
> doesn't matter who is speaking?)
> It doesn't make much 'difference', but it does constitute much of a
> 'sameness' due to 'difference'. As soon as we discard authorship then we
> also discard the associated responsibility. Heaps of different thinkers
> create some theory to do with the In/Out of the social (binary logic), I
> can't see how the social can operate (best for 'you' as an individual
> subject) without distinction, without definition, without authorship...
you
> can't have it both ways ethical responsibility without having something
able
> to be accountable. Slander?
>
> What do you mean by 'dead man'? Who is this person? God? Sounds like you
are
> describing God... who is beyond reproach?
>
> When ascertaining 'saintliness', was it not actually uncovering the
> possibility of the Christians investing themselves into the concept of
> 'Saint So-and-so'? Trying to discover its truth value?
> But my main issue with all this is:
> Where do you draw the line between what should be taken into account and
> what shouldn't be, when trying to figure out whether a text is not merely
> worthy of being read, but worthy of being believed?
>
> Cheers,
> Glen.
>
> > The work now possesses the right to kill, to be its author's murderer.
The