Re: if -- And and and and

--------------1AB1CA4FBF3D5AEA9D4A9E66

Glen
Thanks for your thoughtful response. I'll look forward to more comments in due course!

In the meantime, I must say i share your frustration and find much of Foucault's work difficult to get my head around -
very valuable, but also very difficult. I would appreciate it if anyone on the list with more familiarity with Foucault's work would engage in some
'guidance' toward those of us who struggle with it. I just think its up to those of us who want to learn and engage with others to participate and
'squeeze the trivia out'.

My one-time supervisor (Alison Lee) told me a couple of really helpful things about reading and understanding:
She referred me to a statement of Lacan's cited in Patti Lather's work 'Getting Smart' (1991) (I haven't read Lacan
myself):
?If what we are about here is a fundamental turning point in social thought, an epochal shift marked by thinking
differently about how we think (Flax, 1987), the following advice from Lacan is well taken. For anyone beginning to
play with what all of this might mean for our interventions in the world, Lacan cautions, ??to read does not obligate
one to understand. First it is necessary to read ? avoid understanding too quickly? (quoted in Ulmer, 1985: 196).?
(Lather, 1991: 9)
(What a relief that was!)

The other thing was from an article of her own where she says
?Any body of theory which pushes at the boundaries of the conventionally sayable must, by definition, be difficult to
explain and difficult to grasp.? (Lee, 1992: 1)
[Lee, A. 1992, 'Poststructuralism and educational research: some categories and issues', Issues in Educational
Research, vol. 2, no. 1, pp. 1-12.]

Puts it all in a different perspective, I think - no easier, but different and somehow more bearable.

best regards
Jill : )

begin:vcard
n:Jill;Molan