From: Ali Rizvi=20
To: foucault@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx=20
Cc: m_pbr@xxxxxxxxxx=20
Sent: Friday, July 13, 2001 5:26 PM
Subject: Re: foucault and islam

Mark and Jasper

As far as I understand Said's work does not treat Islam as such. He =
uses Foucault's work (in fact I should say certain aspects of Foucault's =
archealogical method) to analyse how in West perceptions about Orient =
and Islam evolved (particulary during the colinal period). Strictly =
speaking Said's work falls under the Postcolonial studies and has almost =
nothing to do with Islam.=20

I think Bryan S. Turner's (1994) Orientalism, postmodernism and =
globalism London Routledge is more fruitful although he does not treat =
Foucault at length. He also develops a critique of Said's book on =
Orientalism. You might also find his biblography useful.

Another well known book on Islam and Postmodernism is that of Akbar S =
Ahmed (1992) Postmodern and Islam London Routledge, although as far as =
I can remeber he does not treat Foucault at all. Any way Ahmed's book is =
not a serious study at all although it has been popular in many circles.

Another book which comes to mind is Gellner's 1992 Postmodernism =
Reason and Religon London Routledge. Gellner has few references to =
Foucault and he also says something about Iranian revolution but not =
necessarily from the Foucauldian perspective.

I have recently submitted a paper (Islamic Studies International =
Islamci University Islamabad) called, "From the 'death of God' to the =
'death of man": Towards a new genealogy of Western Civilisation. It is =
based on an interpretation of certain themes in The Order of Things and =
relates them to the work of Kant and Nietzsche. I also try to develope =
an initial Islamic critique of Foucault (as I understand him) but this =
is still a very general outline.

I am currently preparing to embark on a paper lenght study =
provisionally entitled as An Islamic Critique of Foucault. But that will =
take some time before it is completed.

If any one of you would like to see my above mentioned paper, I will =
be most happy to provide the soft copy of it.=20

regards

ali

=20

Mark,=20
Edward Said has made use of Foucault to analyse the Western =
perspective=20
on islam and 'orientals'. His books, including his classic work=20
"Orientalism", might be a very good place to start.=20
I would be interested in other sources on the subject you find. Just=20
send them to me directly if the list does not pick up on this subject. =

Jesper.=20
Mark LeVine wrote:=20
>=20
> can anyone refer me to any work that's been done on foucault and =
islam,=20
> especially on his coverage of the iranian revolution that appeared =
in=20
> the italian and french press.=20
>=20
> thanks!=20
> mark levine=20
>=20
> --=20
> Mark LeVine, Ph.D.=20
> Assistant Professor=20
> Dept. of History=20
> University of California, Irvine=20
>=20
> Contact information, Summer-Fall 2001:=20
>=20
> 32-22 204th Street=20
> Bayside, NY 11361, USA=20
> 718 423 7357=20
> 718 423 2229 - fax=20
>=20
<< jg.ioa.vcf >>=20

------=_NextPart_000_002A_01C10B9E.B0F9BE20

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I would be interested in a copy of the =
paper you=20
mention as well. It seems the original question, however, was not =
whether an=20
Islamic critique of Foucault has been written but whether there is any=20
Foucaultian critique of Islam (specifically the Iranian revolution) out=20
there.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Zarqa</FONT></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE=20
<DIV=20
black"><B>From:</B>=20
<A href=3D"mailto:ali_m_rizvi@xxxxxxxxxxx"; =
title=3Dali_m_rizvi@xxxxxxxxxxx>Ali=20
Rizvi</A> </DIV>
href=3D"mailto:foucault@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx"=20
=
title=3Dfoucault@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>foucault@lists.village.virgin=
ia.edu</A>=20
</DIV>
<DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Cc:</B> <A =
href=3D"mailto:m_pbr@xxxxxxxxxx"=20
title=3Dm_pbr@xxxxxxxxxx>m_pbr@xxxxxxxxxx</A> </DIV>
<DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Sent:</B> Friday, July 13, 2001 =
5:26 PM</DIV>
<DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Subject:</B> Re: foucault and =
islam</DIV>
<DIV><BR></DIV>
<DIV>
<P>Mark and Jasper</P>
<P>As far as I understand Said's work does not treat Islam as such. He =
uses=20
Foucault's work (in fact I should say certain aspects of Foucault's=20
archealogical method) to analyse how in West perceptions =
about&nbsp;Orient and=20
Islam evolved (particulary during the colinal period). Strictly =
speaking=20
Said's work falls under the Postcolonial studies and has&nbsp;almost =
nothing=20
to do with Islam. </P>
<P>I think Bryan S. Turner's (1994)&nbsp;Orientalism, postmodernism =
and=20
globalism London Routledge is more fruitful although he does not treat =

Foucault at length. He also develops a critique of Said's book on =
Orientalism.=20
You might also find his biblography useful.</P>
<P>Another well known book on Islam and Postmodernism is that of Akbar =
S Ahmed=20
(1992) Postmodern and Islam&nbsp; London Routledge, although as far as =
I can=20
remeber he does not treat Foucault at all. Any way Ahmed's book is not =
a=20
serious study at all although it has been popular in many circles.</P>
<P>Another book which comes to mind is Gellner's 1992 Postmodernism =
Reason and=20
Religon London Routledge. Gellner has few references to Foucault and =
he also=20
says something about Iranian revolution but not necessarily from the=20
Foucauldian perspective.</P>
<P>I have recently submitted a paper (Islamic Studies International =
Islamci=20
University Islamabad) called, "From the 'death of God' to the 'death =
of man":=20
Towards a new genealogy of Western Civilisation. It is based on an=20
interpretation of certain themes in The Order of Things and relates =
them to=20
the work of Kant and Nietzsche. I also try to develope an initial =
Islamic=20
critique of Foucault (as I understand him) but this is still a very =
general=20
outline.</P>
<P>I am currently preparing to embark on a paper lenght study =
provisionally=20
entitled as An Islamic Critique of Foucault. But that will take some=20
time&nbsp;before it is completed.</P>
<P>If any one of you would like to see my above mentioned paper, I =
will be=20
most happy to provide the soft copy of it. </P>
<P>regards</P>
<P>ali</P>
<P><BR><BR>&nbsp;</P></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>Mark,=20
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>Edward Said has made use of Foucault to analyse the Western =

perspective=20
<DIV></DIV>on islam and 'orientals'. His books, including his classic =
work=20
<DIV></DIV>"Orientalism", might be a very good place to start.=20
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>I would be interested in other sources on the subject you =
find.=20
Just=20
<DIV></DIV>send them to me directly if the list does not pick up on =
this=20
subject.=20
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>Jesper.=20
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>Mark LeVine wrote:=20
<DIV></DIV>&gt;=20
<DIV></DIV>&gt; can anyone refer me to any work that's been done on =
foucault=20
and islam,=20
<DIV></DIV>&gt; especially on his coverage of the iranian revolution =
that=20
appeared in=20
<DIV></DIV>&gt; the italian and french press.=20
<DIV></DIV>&gt;=20
<DIV></DIV>&gt; thanks!=20
<DIV></DIV>&gt; mark levine=20
<DIV></DIV>&gt;=20
<DIV></DIV>&gt; --=20
<DIV></DIV>&gt; Mark LeVine, Ph.D.=20
<DIV></DIV>&gt; Assistant Professor=20
<DIV></DIV>&gt; Dept. of History=20
<DIV></DIV>&gt; University of California, Irvine=20
<DIV></DIV>&gt;=20
<DIV></DIV>&gt; Contact information, Summer-Fall 2001:=20
<DIV></DIV>&gt;=20
<DIV></DIV>&gt; 32-22 204th Street=20
<DIV></DIV>&gt; Bayside, NY 11361, USA=20
<DIV></DIV>&gt; 718 423 7357=20
<DIV></DIV>&gt; 718 423 2229 - fax=20
<DIV></DIV>&gt; <MARK.LEVINE@xxxxxx>
<DIV></DIV>&lt;&lt; jg.ioa.vcf &gt;&gt;=20
<DIV></DIV><BR clear=3Dall>
<HR>
Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at <A=20
href=3D"http://www.hotmail.com";>http://www.hotmail.com</A>.<BR>
<P></P></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_002A_01C10B9E.B0F9BE20--